Where are Jurong East Growth Areas? Bustling Jurong East offers an attractive live-work-play environment with good housing, major employment areas and a host of facilities. With the development of Jurong Lake District into a key regional centre and HDB’s plans to rejuvenate the surrounding housing estates, Jurong East residents will benefit from even better facilities, more recreational options and improved transport connectivity in future.
Housing: Better living environment for all
Jurong East’s attractions include established housing estates, comprehensive amenities, diverse recreational options and proximity to commercial and industrial employment areas. Several new developments, including the J Gateway condominium in Jurong Gateway and new HDB flats, Teban View, at Teban Gardens Road will add to the housing choices in Jurong East.
Also on the horizon are more amenities such as new malls at Jurong Gateway, a new pedestrian mall at Jurong East Town Centre, and the Ng Teng Fong General Hospital and Jurong Community Hospital at Jurong East Street 21. A new nursing home along Jurong East Avenue 1 will serve the needs of our elderly residents.
Leisure: New reasons to be outdoors
A major perk of living in Jurong East is having direct access to not one but two major waterbodies, Jurong Lake and Pandan Reservoir, which have a range of recreational activities on and around the water. When the following projects are completed, residents will find it harder to
resist the call of the outdoors:
• Jurong Lake Park, which will feature new types of recreational facilities
• New park connectors along the waterfront of Jurong Lake
• Enhancement to Jurong Canal under PUB’s Active, Beautiful, Clean Waters (ABC Waters) programme
• New interim park at Toh Guan
Other developments that will further support and promote outdoor activities include a cycling network connecting Jurong East, Jurong West and Bukit Batok.
Transport: More connections for faster travel
As a major interchange for the North-South and East-West lines, Jurong East MRT station has served residents and workers in the area well, with the adjacent bus interchange providing added convenience. In the coming years, improvements to the public transport system will provide quicker connections between the town and other parts of Singapore:
• A new bus interchange with enhanced bus services will replace the existing one and form part of an Integrated Transport Hub to make commuting more seamless and enjoyable
• The future Jurong Region Line will enable faster travel between Jurong East and the surrounding towns
• Improved North-South and East-West MRT lines will have more capacity when some of the existing passengers take advantage of the new Downtown Line 2 MRT line to be completed in 2016
New roads will be built and existing roads will be improved to bring about an improved transport experience:
• Construction of new roads such as Gateway Drive, Town Hall Link and Venture Drive will provide better connectivity within Jurong Gateway
• Improvement to the Pan-Island Expressway slip road between Clementi North Flyover and Toh Tuck Flyover
• Improvements to Jurong East Street 11 and Jurong East Street 21
• Extension of Jurong Canal Drive from Jurong East Avenue 1 to Boon Lay Way
• Improvement to Penjuru Road
• Planned junction improvements along Jurong East Avenue 1
• Planned improvement to Pan-Island Expressway from Kranji Expressway to Bukit Batok Road
Economy: More jobs near home
In addition to jobs now available in Jurong and Tuas, residents can look forward to enjoying the convenience of working near home when the following projects at Jurong East are completed:
• New retail and office developments adjacent to Jurong East MRT Station like JEM and Westgate
• New hotel and office buildings in Jurong Gateway
• Expansion of the existing International Business Park
The recently opened Devan Nair Institute for Employment and Employability helps working adults upgrade their skills to stay relevant and competitive in our dynamic economy.
Source: URA Master Plan